Sunday, October 28, 2018

Operation "Move iT"

I've known Tracey, and her husband Jack pretty much as long as I've known Jan, who I took ownership of the the T from.  They all live in Ashland, WI. We're all great friends who go a long way back. When we visit one we visit the other.
Even so, when when I first discussed taking ownership of the T, I was very surprised when Jack said that he would move it from Ashland to Lester Prairie for me. I'll be honest with you, I didn't believe it (Jack is noted for being a bit of a joker) and so I did little investigation on methods to move the car the 271 miles to its (then) possible new home.
Months passed and the change of ownership became finalised, and it turned out Jack was still keen to deliver the car for us, so I took him up on the offer. After all, that is what friends are for.
Left hand down a bit.
Jack and Wink loaded the T onto the trailer on Thursday, and operation "Move iT" was ready to begin.
0 dark thirty and the T is ready to begin its journey
Early on Friday morning, Jack and Tracey left Ashland under cover of darkness. Probably best, as this car is a part of the Ashland landscape and its departure will cause sadness among many of the towns residents.
A stop at Menards to honour a previous owner
On the way to the Minnesota Prairies, Jack decided to stop off at a Menards DIY superstore for a photo opportunity. As you will come to find out an upcoming blog post, a previous owner was a member of the Menard family.
Welcome to Minnesota!

It's here!
Just under 5 hours after the car left Ashland it arrived in Lester Prairie, Minnesota. Its new home.
I am pleased to see it
The pouring rain could not dampen my enthusiasm for seeing the car arrive at its new home.
In the garage with a Studebaker and an MGB
Because it was raining and raining quite hard, we got it garaged fairly quickly.
With the car safely parked in its new home, I went down to the government offices in Glencoe, to get the change of ownership registered, and to confirm if the original 1926 plates that I have for the car could be used. I had looked the the relevant pages of the Minnesota DMV website concerning original plates and I was fairly certain that the use of them would be OK on a classic car.
The young girl behind the desk wasn't so sure, I don't think she had handled such a request before so she turned for a supervisor for help.
"1926? Wow. Does it run?" She asked, as she went through the process of filling the paperwork in.
Fair do's, she handled what was a confusing situation to her with great professionalism. I have heard tales of woe from various other classic car owners whose state Department of Motor Vehicles haven't been as helpful.
As I left, the clerk told me that even though she wasn't 100% sure, it looked to her like I would be able to use the original plates on the car. So when I got home, I put them on the car, (just to see what they looked like)
In anticipation that everything will be alright.
Now the adventure begins.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad she has a good home. Lucas was a little sad when I told him that Grammie sold the T, but I said that we would try to visit it in the near future.

    ReplyDelete